Thursday, May 13, 2010

How do you feel about 2 piece bathing suits for very young girls?

It's certainly not that important one way or the other but 3 of my closest friends and I have debated on this issue. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I have an 8 month old, and my friends who oppose it have daughters ranging from 18 months -7 years old. Their biggest problem with it is that it is too tempting for dirty child molesters. I feel that in a public place a close eye should be kept on all children regardless of their sex even if they are wearing a snowsuit for God sakes. Is a one peice bathing suit less enticing for these dirty molesters? Am I just a bad mother for feeling that it's okay for small children to wear bikinis? I don't know why but this teeny tiny issue bothers me, what's your opinion?How do you feel about 2 piece bathing suits for very young girls?
Wow! Really? Geez..... I must be a terrible mom.


The last thing I think of when I buy clothes for my kids is what a child molester might think. Doesn't even enter my mind.


I think both suits are cute. I see nothing morally wrong with wearing a two piece. Although, I am slightly confused to how a little girl could look sleazy,sexy or skanky in anything. It's a little girl!! I agree with you completely. I find it weird that people would think a little girl in a bikini is unwholesome. My son has a Speedo and I really hope people don't think that is in some way dirty or provacative. Little kids are little kids regardless of child molesters. I like to let my little kid just be a little kid!How do you feel about 2 piece bathing suits for very young girls?
Personally it's a modesty issue for me. Little girls should dress like little girls, not sex objects. I don't have a daughter, I have a little boy, but should I be so blessed as to have a little girl at sometime in my life she will NOT be wearing revealing clothing, short short pants or skirts and definitely no bikini style suits for swimming. It's a matter of protecting their modesty and innocence. Dressing them up in things that make them look like little tiny sex objects- infants or older- IMO is not appropriate.
I personally don't like it and never have. Society seems to be in a rush these days to sexualize young girls and make them grow up way too early. Bikinis have always represented sexiness and flirtiness by showing lots of skin. How does that in any way look appropiate on a baby/toddler?





Just my opinion..everybody is entitled to their own opinion and yours doesn't make you a bad mother and neither does mine. Take care!
Cute full coverage two pieces are fine. I don't think string bikinis and thong bottoms are appropriate. A couple of my friends really like them for their baby daughters because it's a lot easier to change a dirty swim diaper in them (b/c you only need to remove the bottom to get to the diaper rather than pulling off an entire one piece suit).
Morally I would have no issue with it at all. If your child was targeted by a pedophile it wouldn't matter what she was wearing. My only objection is that it is dangerous for an eight month old to be that exposed to the sun for more than about five minutes at a time. A full bodied sun proof suit is what she should be in as well as having sun-block applied often.
i see nothing wrong with it i think they are cute esp on small children but yes u need to keep an eye out but u should do that anyway i personally think that molesters should have to have some kind of symbol such as a tattoo (something permanent and noticeable) warning others they are a child molester and not be aloud were there are kids
I had to wear a one piece...for...hhmm...a long time, almost until I was 10! It taught me subconscious modesty, being aware of what I'm wearing. I am comfortable with my body, but sometimes when I'm in a bikini I feel uncomfortable now, and I think that's okay. We need to aware of how we look, and some people never learn that. I think a cute tankini would be...okay for your daughter to wear, but bikini's are taking it a bit far in my opinion. Hope this helps! God bless!
molesters dont care what little kids r wearing, they r just sick in the head


but it all depends on what you want them to wear when they r older. when i was little i was allowed to where two peices then at a certain age my parents said i had to be covered up and i was pissed and confused
I think it's worse for 12-17 year olds than a young child. I think it's cute on a baby, and I think it doesn't matter to the molester. They will grab a kid wearing a parka or a t shirt too, if the opportunity presents itself.





They are over focusing on small issues.
Honestly a child predator, is a child predator, no matter what the kid is wearing...





Babies are cute with their little bellies hangin out of their swimsuit. It's all a personal opinion. If you want to do it, then do it. If it were wrong, it'd be a law...





But, just my opinion and I'm sure you'll get others who disagree.
i always love my baby to look like a girly girl with anything she wears, but not too womanish. Two piece swim suit are the first thing i think of when i shop for her that's just the way iam. So if that's how you feel you kid should dress nobody else opinion matters. You know how you deal with your own kid.
little kids run around the beaches in just diapers sometimes.





. A little girl in a two piece may be cute, but have you priced those suits? Ridiculous. Most moms shop for suits at consignment stores..cheaper that way..and still cute.








And for you older girls,





When you flaunt your body and then wonder why guys come on to you and make crude remarks, WHO do you think you were trying to impress...your girl friends? Save that for people who still believe in the tooth fairy.
I think there is nothing wrong with it! i bought my daughter (she's 2 months old) a really cite bikini from Old Navy, and I LOVE it!! I agree that you should always keep a really close eye on your children and keep them close by no matter where you are or what the situation is...
ask yourself why you would want to have your daughter to have that much of her body exposed? why did you want to wear a two piece when you first got one? tan lines? to look sexy? I am opposed (incase you didn't get that). you aren't a bad mother. lots of mothers don't see a problem with it.
As long as it's not too sleazy and or skimpy, it's not that bad. But it's still a pretty young age. I'd stick to one- pieces for the time being.
Wow a lot of different views. I don't see a problem with it. I have a one piece and a bikini for my baby girl.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with little girls wearing bikinis. My daughter wore a bikini at that age.


Get the chilld a bikini and u are not at all a bad mother.
i think it is wrong.Not only for moral reasons but i am pretty sure it is safer to have more skin covered in the sun
i think little girls look cute in 2 piece bathing suits... ure not a bad mommy every one has different opinions... it also depends on the type of 2 piece and age
Someone may have already said this, but two-pieces make it alot easier to use the bathroom hehe.
maximum coverage is best and lots of 2 piece suits offer this.
I think they are cute and more confortable when they have to go to the bathroom.
It should be okay, Unless its to revealing!
soon pets will have to be dressed too. We have to be care full about those zoolophiles
My daughter won't be in one.
I don't ';have a problem'; with two piece suits on little girls. In fact, on babies and potty trainers it's just a lot more convenient. I get more uncomfortable as the girl is approaching puberty and the teenage years. I definitely prefer the one piece on a 13-year old. Somehow it seems that letting her wear a two piece when she's 7 makes it impossible for me to ban it when she's 13; so, I don't know if I'll be letting my girls wear a two piece once they've moved up to a big kid pool.
Statistics show that most molested children know their molester. I do not think that putting your young child into a two piece swimming suit at the pool when you are with them increases your child's probability of being molested. Child molesters choose their victims for their vulnerability and helplessness not because of clothing they wear sending the wrong message. It is much more likely that ';Great Uncle Harry'; would be the molester than a stranger from the pool.





If you were talking about girls 13+ in very revealing bikinis sending the wrong message to boys their own age, etc then you would be getting a very different answer from me.





Bottom line is that children who are under close supervision in public places are rarely the target of any crime. It is usually when parents are not attentive that bad things happen. Put your child in whatever you want to but watch them like a hawk. The pool has a lot of dangers but I would not rank child molesters high on the list.





The poster who mentions sun exposure though has a very valid point. I assume you are always covering your child with sunscreen and covering them up when they have reached their maximum recommended exposure for the day.
My daughter is 4 and has her first two-piece this year. One is a tankini, and the other is a more-modest-than-not regular bikini with a sarong. I figure easy potty trips this year.





Previous years we did a one-piece, more because I listened to other people about bikini's being indecent on young kids. Now I wish I would have embraced them sooner. I think they are soooo cute on little ones.





As long as they are in no way sexy or grown up looking, what's it matter? How long will they be in it without a cover up anyway, really?





Sexual predators don't just prey on those in bikini's. If so, we'd have caught on by now.





I get the not wanting a molester to get pleasure from seeing a small child in a two-piece, but really... you're right. How IS it different than a one-piece (Unless I guess they have a belly or swim diaper fetish)? They are sickos either way, and I'd love to blast them all to h*** and back, but for some reason I manage to obey the laws against that.





EDITED to add:





I would also feel differently if this were about a pre-teen or teenagers. I think then it runs a higher risk of ...misrepresentation... some girls do like to flaunt and send out the wrong message. But I think that's a child-to-child issue I think.





Also, about bikini's being ';sexy'; or whatnot on a little kid, I think it's in the beholder. I plumb think it's cute. Simple as that. For those that will be looking at my daughter and thinking ';sex object';, then don't look at her if you can't think decent things. A four year old (or nine year old, for that matter) is a young innocent kid. I personally could never see them in a bikini and think ';sexy'; in any way, shape, or form, it's not in my nature.
I think it is a little inappropriate. The purpose of a two-piece is to be flirty and sexy by showing off some skin, but for a child, it is a little gross. I just think our society is doing too much to sexualize kids. Besides, kids need to keep their skin covered from the sun. I don't think it makes any difference to a child molester. They just want small kids. The thing to keep in mind is that over 90% of the children who are sexually molested are victimized by a family member or close friend, not some random stranger at the beach or at the local pool.
i do not let my child wear a 2 peice bathing suit, even now and she is 12! she can wear a crop top and swim shorts though.


as for really young kids, i think a one peice, or shorts and top is more comfortable, why would a young child want to wear a 2 peice, do they even care.


Your not a bad mother, you just have a different perspective on this than your friends, and thats fine, its your child and whatever you choose is up to you. You are not enticing child molesters by her wearing this. I think child molesters would look at any kids wouldnt they, no matter what they are wearing. There is no wrong or right with this question, just different perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment